Thursday, November 6, 2008

If You Give A Woman A Screw Gun...

Let me give you a piece of advice regarding the title. DON'T! Just don't. The end result isn't good.
Why? Well......Mom bought me some stuff for my closet, so it actually has some shelves instead of just a clothes rod and floor space. I've actually discovered I can now have all of my hanging clothes out year-round, which eliminates one box of off-season clothing, which gives me more room for my shoes and other junk. Yes, I have a lot of junk, but trust me it's very necessary junk. :0)
So, since Dad's been taking college classes and came home tired (this was Monday night) Mom and I decided, "oh, well, we'll just have him find the studs in my closet for us, then we can hang up everything." Uh huh. Right.
Bad idea.
So Dad got the horizontal stuff up for me, and Mom and I took over hanging the vertical stuff so we could hook on shelves and clothes rods. This is what happened...

It took us about five tries to find the stupid stud for this one piece (the first pic) and the second pic of is some of random holes we ended up knocking in the wall. So yeah. NEVER give a woman a screw gun...at least a woman in this household.
Monday was a success in another area though. We had Joy, Kristin, Liz, Anna, and Mary over and us girls worked on stuff for our medieval h2o! Yay! It's going to be super cool! We made some cardboard "rock" walls to put behind the tables, to hang banners on, and Joy came up with this really neat looking fireplace idea. Then Mary and I painted four shields to hang on the wall (a gold one with a blue cross, a silver one with a red horse's head, a blue one with silver moons, and a red one with gold diagonal stripes on it). Mary, Liz, and I also made some cardboard weapons. I went for the out of the box stuff and made a wavy-bladed dagger and a mace. Yes, the mace is 3d and it looks pretty sweet if I do say so myself. We also tried out some different foods for supper, and Joy made some banners, and Liz, Anna, Joy, Andrew, Josh, and I got a play together. We'll see how it goes.... :0S I've heard so many hints and ideas from people on what they're doing (cause we all have to have some sort of entertainment planned) and I really can't wait to see what strange, crazy, goofy stuff people come up with! I have a few tricks planned too... :0) Of course, Heather can't go without playing some sort of prank!
Mom got my dress hemmed this morning, and it is soooo beautiful! I love it! Can't wait to wear it! I also took an old leather coat I bought at a flea market, and cut the sleeves off, pulled the linings out, took all the stitches out, and made three vambraces. Vambraces are the arm braces that they used to wear around their arms--could be made of leather or metal. Archers wore the leather ones most of the time to stop the string from snapping their arm. Ummm, like Robin Hood or...here's a better example, Boromir in FOTR. He wears some cool metal vambraces. I think Aragorn wears them too in TT and ROTK. Anyway, I made a pair for me and one for my friend Jake B. I helped him and Joe M come up with ideas for their costumes. Oh yeah, and today I helped Andrew S come up with a costume. He's going as a prince. :0) Hannah has a gorgeous blue dress that Joy H is currently finishing for us, made of this thick, semi-slick material that looks like something a prom dress would be made of. Her sleeves are just belled, not slit like mine. I know blue and silver is very typical, but this dress is made for silver to be matched with it! But it's really pretty! She's definitely going as a princess, and wearing my silver conch belt. I'm going as...umm, well, a princess/adventurer. Leather belt, leather boots, maybe my vambraces. Josh is going as a monk. He's got a perfect outfit and everything...and I mean come on, Saint Louie! :0) How did he get canonized before he died?
I'm going to definitely take some pictures and post them. In fact I'll prolly take pictures of all my friends, and some with my friends, definitely. Good food, entertainment, castles, swords, best friends...who needs anything more for a fun night? :0)
What else has been going on? Not much....oh, Josh's soccer team started indoor practic Tuesday. They looked pretty good, from what I watched. And of course the election...gag. Let's skip that. Annoying, plus I don't want to get into it or else I'll start using a sledgehammer, not a crowbar (WVA thing). Just let me say that I found out something Sam S and I agree on (and with our history, trust me, this is a record-making day): Sam and I both voted Constitutional. :0) And I know some of my friends are going ot get after me for it...oh well, taking a stand hurts sometimes.
Mom found this cool quote today in my great-grandpa John T. Holt's WWI diary. He's talking about the war in a letter to his sister:

"One learns and sees something of human nature, life, and things, and I think it should be broadening. There is self-sacrifice and comradeship and I think it should make us better men.
And we all look forward to that day when we again can have peace restored and hope it can be a lasting one so that all the misery suffered by this war shall not be in vain but that the whole world could be the better for it.
We all have our tasks and lessons to learn in life's school; our own roads to travel with its sunshine and shadows...."

My great-grandpa wrote that!!!! I love the last line, especially the "our own roads to travel with its sunshine and shadows..." I want to write a poem with that line in it. I don't think Great-Grandpa would mind if I borrowed from him. :0) At any rate I thought that was a cool, appropriate quote considering the times we're in. Kinda sad that Great-grandpa and his comrades didn't really succeed in making this world all that better. I mean, sure, WWI and WWII would've been horrible had it turned out any other way, but look where we are today. Especially America. Saddening.
But to end on a happy note, I've been only working on my new novel, Roliwyn, for less than 6 months...and I'm already page 115, word count 51, 250! That's close to halfway done! Yes!
Random note before I go: I'm listening to one of my favorite songs from when I was a kid; "Jesus Freaks" by DC Talk. :0)
TTFN! Until whenver I get the medieval h2o post on the blog, at earliest Monday!